Monday 8 November 2010

Welcome to Week 2 - Experimenting with Low Energy Cooking

Hi Everybody!

Lets get started! This week we are asking all of you to try combined cooking, using a single pot or pan to cook multiple parts of the meal. For this exercise I will be making pasta with sausage and vegetables. I will attempt to cook all the items for my meal at once. I will boil sausage with my pasta, and while I cook that part of the meal I will steam broccoli and zucchini over the boiling water. I am looking forward to this, as I usually do not cook my sausage this way and often have vegetables steaming in a different pot next to my pasta. When you cook this week, try to think how it would be possible to maximize the heat you have generated. We want you guys to get creative but also explore the simple stuff as well.

As you may have noticed we have added a Low Energy Tips section to the blog where you will be able to find a list of useful ideas that will help you conserve energy when cooking. If you have not checked this out please do so. We hope that having a running list will not only show you how easy it can be to conserve energy but also how intuitive some of our wasteful habits have become. Recognizing and changing our cooking habits can have enormous effects on how much energy is needed to prepare the meals we eat. Please contribute any ideas you come across or methods you practice.

Good luck trying out your new ways of cooking! Please remember to continue to keep track of your energy consumed while cooking, it will be very interesting to look at when this living lab is finished.

3 comments:

  1. So I didn't cook much this week, mainly because I had a lot of leftovers!
    So of course I used the microwave a lot!
    I did make a pork roast in a crock pot, very tasty I must say.
    I also cooked my one dish meal of sausage, potatoes, and veggies(zucchini, carrots, & cabbage) also very tasty.
    Thanks for the helpful resources links, they were very informative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, sounds like you had a lot of yummy food :) Would you mind posting some pictures up of some more food you will cook?? You can do so in the photo gallery link under the right column!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used leftover rice this morning that I had made in a rice cooker. I like those and always cook a full pot of rice. It must save energy and leftover rice is always easy to use. Tonight I am going to try bringing water to a boil, adding rice, and letting it sit covered overnight. If it works for steel-cut oats it should work for rice. Anyway, in a cast iron pan I sauteed minced garlic, and diced a bunch of veggies (green onions, cabbage, sugar snap peas, red peppers, and carrots) in olive oil. I added small squares of ham for a minute, the rice and a beaten egg. Great breakfast!

    ReplyDelete